Friday, March 01, 2013

A reflection by Blessed John XXIII a year after his election


Blessed John XXIII
Since the Lord chose me, unworthy as I am, for this great service [the Papacy], I feel I have no longer any special ties in this life, no family, no earthly country or nation, nor any particular preferences with regards to studies or projects, even good ones. Now, more than ever, I see myself as the humble and unworthy "servant of the servants of God". The whole world is my family. This sense of belonging to everyone must give character and vigour to my mind, my heart, and my actions.

This vision, this feeling of belonging to the whole world, will give a new impulse to my constant and continual daily prayer: the Breviary, Holy Mass, the whole rosary and my faithful visits to Jesus in the tabernacle, all varied and ritual forms of close and trustful union with Jesus.

The experience of this first years gives me light and strength in my efforts to straighten, to reform, and tactfully and patiently to make improvements in everything.

~ Bl. John XXIII, Journal of a Soul: The Autobiography of Pope John XXIII , 63:2-3.