Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Book Review: Tanquerey, where have you been all my life!

Brethren, Peace and Good to all of you, the Peace of Christ that surpasses every human understanding and the Good coming from it.

I recently borrowed from my Spiritual Director's library The Spiritual Life: A Treatise on Ascetical and Mystical Theology, by the Very Reverend Adolphe Tanquerey and I have to say that of all the books I have on the subject of living an empowered Catholic life, this is the best book in the field. At least, it is to me and to my analytical mindset.

In this book you'll find the what and the why of living fruitfully as a Catholic Christian. I'll be quoting from it from time to time and you'll get to see how this wisdom affects me.

I liked the book so much that I went to TAN books (liked to above) to buy the book, but it's out of stock until March. So I got me a first edition (1930) copy from an used book store for about $10. (For the life of me, I don't understand why some people are selling later copies of this book for $900).

Dear brothers and sisters, get yourselves this book as soon as you can and live your Catholic life in the fullness of the grace of the Holy Spirit, so that we may all become salt and leaven of the world.